SaaS, PaaS & IaaS: Which cloud service suits your business?
In this fast-growing world, businesses are shifting from on-premises software to cloud services. It is happening because bringing data to the cloud makes it simpler for companies and employees. This type of technology is growing more users worldwide.
However, you must know the difference between Software as a Service (SaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), and Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS). These services have their advantages and specialties you need to know whether it is good for your industry.
Unlike decades ago, your organization now has more chosen preferences for software. The cloud will make tasks more efficient and profitable. It is important to contemplate the perfect cloud for your business. Take a look at this clear visual chart from Soluno.
These technologies are developing and you must know the difference between the three types of services. If you are shifting to the cloud, we described the details of SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS and how it will benefit your company.
Software as a Service (SaaS)
Occasionally called Web-based software, on-demand software, or hosted software, SaaS or cloud application services provide applications over the Internet and are controlled by a third-party vendor. The application’s access, including security availability and performance, is managed by the provider. You do not have to install and maintain software since you can access it online. There is no complicated software and hardware management in this type of cloud.
Among the cloud service options, SaaS is the most commonly used in the cloud market due to its simplicity. It lets users easily create website content for both web and mobile access. You will easily make changes without carrying the burden of software issues. The reason why there is no need to download or install it is that the majority of apps run directly through a web browser. Basically, all you need is an Internet connection to establish an SaaS system.
When is it best used?
It is ideal for any type of business. Although, there are specific points on showing that it is great for certain situations:
- If your company is small or a startup that does not want to invest time in focusing on the issues related to hardware, software, and servers.
- If projects are team-based.
- If you need web and mobile access to the applications.
How it is utilized
This model makes your work simpler by eradicating the need to have the IT staff downloading and installing apps on each computer. The third-party provider manages challenges related to data, middleware, servers, and storage. Here are the other ways on how SaaS is being utilized:
- All users and applications share a single platform and centralized common infrastructure.
- No importance in investing your time in preserving codes.
- Customize applications easily to fit the business method more cheaply.
- Accessible online.
- Users do not need to update the hardware or software.
- Hosted from a third-party vendor.
This solution provides a way to make the process simpler and faster for companies and employees. These are the ways it works as a service:
- You are using a ready-to-use system that the vendor installed, maintained, and secured.
- Simple and quick to add users when your business grows.
- The IT department does not need to waste time doing maintenance.
- Compatible and cost-effective for all kinds of enterprises.
SaaS provides plenty of benefits in reducing time doing software tasks and spending that valuable time on solving more important challenges of your industry. You just have to access it anytime and anywhere. We listed down other ways it will benefit your business:
- Your employees will have personalized accounts.
- Not fretting about updating the software on every computer
- There are monthly fees and a subscription model
- Easy access to customer service
- The software will be running in just a few hours
- Purely cloud-based
- To gain access, all you have to do is be online at any device
- You can adjust requirements to the number of users who need the service.
- It is assumed that the software is available as needed.
- Providers receive remarks on what their customers need.
Responsibilities of SaaS
The responsibilities of providing a SaaS comes in different ways. Here is the visual representation of this model from Researchgate.
At Third Pillar, we partner with Salesforce, the world’s #1 Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software, and DocuSign, the world’s #1 Electronic Signature and Agreement Cloud. These solutions provide ways to improve businesses through its one-platform-for-all technology.
Salesforce is a one integrated CRM platform that helps companies of various industries to have a single and shared view of every customer. Their technology brings customers and businesses together. We assist clients from different enterprises to implement this software into their business processes.
DocuSign, Salesforce’s partner, transitions companies from using paper-based agreement processes to becoming digital. This process can be connected to all systems that are familiar to businesses. Their Application Programming Interface (API) allows users to set up and connect the software to websites, mobile apps, and customer workflows. DocuSign utilizes different applications electronic signature, document preparation, contact management, guided forms, and clickwrap agreements.
Platform as a Service (PaaS)
PaaS or cloud platform services provide hardware and software tools online that users utilize to develop an application.The provider hosts these tools on its own infrastructure and it removes the need for developers to install in-house hardware and software to develop or manage new applications. It is fit for enterprises that want custom apps and at the same time, reduce expenses and save time from assistance with rapid deployment and drastic development.
It delivers a framework to build modified apps. The third-party provider can manage servers, storage and networking as the developers can focus on controlling their apps. PaaS tools are known to be simple and convenient. If you choose PaaS, you will have to pay on a per-use basis. What makes it stand out is that it removes the expense and complexity of buying, configuring, and controlling all the tools needed to function applications. However, PaaS does not replace the software development or infrastructure of your company.
When is it best used?
It is ideal for any type of enterprises that want to build their apps. If you do not want to get too involved in the technical areas of servers, databases, and networks, this service is perfect for your company. These are the other specific points that it is good for businesses:
- If you want to create an app.
- If you want to reduce costs and simplify some challenges in making an app.
- If you don’t want to be involved in the complex technical aspects of developing an app.
- If you want to focus on the creative side of enhancing an app.
How it is utilized
PaaS makes a platform for software creation. This type of service is from the internet and the developers do not have to carry the burden of software updates, infrastructure, and other complicated technical issues. These are the ways PaaS is utilized:
- It allows businesses to design and create applications.
- Multiple users have access to the platform.
- It is easy to run.
- You can pick from different categories of resources that suit your business.
- Assembled on virtualization technology.
- Has services to assist with the developing and executing apps.
- It can deliver services through public, private, and hybrid clouds.
There are a variety of types in this solution such as Public PaaS, Private PaaS, Hybrid PaaS, Communications PaaS, and Open PaaS. This solution makes it simpler for companies to create their apps cheaply and quickly. These are the other ways it works as a service:
- Integrates database and web service
- Provides information security
- Designing and developing apps.
- Testing and executing apps.
PaaS provides many benefits in building applications. Whenever you are using this type of platform, you do not need to create an app from scratch. Here are the advantages of using PaaS:
- Provides you complete control over the platform software.
- It can be adjusted depending on the needs of your business.
- It is cost-effective.
- Developers do not have to maintain the software while customizing apps.
- Tremendously available.
- You can make apps that send real-time information to your managers and employees.
- Large providers are fast in responding to user needs.
PaaS has various responsibilities in providing services. Let’s take a look at the green boxes in this model from Researchgate.
Salesforce’s Lightning Platform is a PaaS that makes building apps quickly and easily. The provided tools help build apps at a completely fast rate. This involves designing, testing, publishing, and managing your application. It includes scale, globalization, and other types of services that reduce complications of developing an app. With this platform, you can build any apps that will help your business grow.
Heroku, integrated with the Salesforce platform, completely focuses on apps and the experiences around it. They target various businesses to know the value of apps. It is a cloud platform that lets companies make apps quickly without going through the hassle of other complex technologies or infrastructures.
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
IaaS or cloud infrastructure service is provided and managed online. This service lets industries build and take charge of their software, servers, apps, networks, operating systems, and middleware. Users have complete control over services like monitoring computers, storage, and other systems. You do not have to physically manage your data infrastructure on-site. Through API, you can retrieve and keep data on servers.
This cloud-based service is provided to businesses through modern technology. It removes the need of investing in pricey on-site services. IaaS offers many scalabilities and at the same time, it is adaptable. Fast-growing companies can simply shift their hardware and software.
When is it best used?
It is ideal for small and large enterprises that want to ensure they avoid causing issues in critical areas of the operation by being technologically secure. Here are the specific points that it is good for you:
- If you want to manage more hardware, software, and infrastructure.
- If you want to avoid spending money on making and purchasing hardware and software.
- If you want a more customizable option.
- If you want increased security.
How it is utilized
IaaS lets users be completely in charge of the infrastructure. This type of service is cost-effective because it is a pay-per-use basis. These are the ways how IaaS is being utilized:
- Clients have access to their data that is stored in the cloud.
- IaaS providers control the servers, hard drives, networking, and other technological aspects.
- Multiple users have access.
- Highly scalable service.
- Clients have complete control.
IaaS makes companies be more in control of their hardware and software. It helps clients efficiently adjust the technological aspects of this solution. These are the ways on how it happens:
- Hosts websites.
- Includes materials for the storage, applications, and resources to support web apps.
- Provides high-performance computing (HPC).
- Provides massive or mining data sets.
IaaS provides many advantages, especially when users have the infrastructure in their hands. In using this type of solution, you have great control of your hardware and software. These are the benefits of using this service:
- You can purchase your hardware based on your consumption.
- You can rely on outsourced IT contractors to maintain the hardware and keep it updated.
- It is easier to replace because you will not lose money in the process.
- The Cloud computing model is very flexible and scalable.
- Less expensive than maintaining on-premise infrastructure.
- You can reach IaaS platforms without relying on an IT contractor.
IaaS has many responsibilities in providing certain services. Look at the red boxes below in the model from Researchgate.
Three examples of popular IaaS are Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, and Google Compute Engine (GCE). These are the cloud computing services that provide solutions to industries of all sizes.
AWS is a comprehensive cloud platform that offers many featured services from data centers around the world. This platform provides technologies such as compute, storage, databases, analytics, machine learning, artificial intelligence, Internet of Things (IoT), and data lakes.
Microsoft Azure is a public computing platform that serves compute, analytics, networking, and storage. It also offers technologies that support industries compatible with their tools. Aside from these services, specific third-party vendors make software available through Azure.
GCE lets clients use Google’s physical hardware in running workloads. They provide virtual machines (VMs) and can be managed through an API, Web console, or command-line interface. This platform allows admins to pick the place where specific data resources will be used and stored.
What is the right service for you?
There are many benefits to using SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS. Although, you must think about the service that suits your business the most. Then start to take into a deeper look into the types of cloud services that will enhance your relationship with customers.
If you want to have a cloud application that is provided by a third party vendor, SaaS is your best solution. However, if your business wants to create and release an app, PaaS is a perfect match. If your organization is more of the hands-on type, then IaaS is a good solution.
At Third Pillar, we provide services using modern technology through integrating Salesforce into the system. We ensure that you will have positive interactions with your customers through a CRM approach.
Are you leaning more into software, platform, or infrastructure? If you need any help in choosing the right service, just let us know! Set a consultation with us and we will show you the best solutions for your growing business.